Sunday, January 23, 2011

A case for lo-tech.

    I was having a conversation this week about film photography versus digital. Actually, in my world, it's an ongoing conversation. The point of this particular "thread" was that, as digital photographers, we've become lazy. At first, I was defensive. I started in film, I understand the basics, digital just enhances the workflow, etc.. Another photographer, a while back, who also started in film, but now shoots all digital, dared us to shoot one session a week with the LCD display covered up on our cameras; the way we used to shoot film. At first, I thought is was a stupid idea, but have come to realize how smart it is. 

    The point is technology does make us lazy. Worse than that, it may actually be causing parts of our brain to de-volve. Nature is very efficient, and if something is not being used, she'll find some other use for it. I'm not going back to film, but I might just shoot some images with the back of my camera covered up, just to keep that part of my brain from withering away. I simply can't afford to lose any more of it.

   So, anyway, the image. One of my grandfathers probably forged this right there on the farm. It served exactly the function for which it was intended, no more, no less. Very efficient. three generations later, it waits, still ready to perform. It never needed any additional energy, it never had a software malfunction, and it didn't even have an owner's manual. Yet, it will outlive it's creator, but not it's purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment